Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal were once training partners. Not just that, but great friends too. According to reports, back when Jorge was just starting out in MMA, Covington would sleep on Masvidal’s couch. They lived together for some time, trained at ATT, and Colby once stated that he would only ever fight Jorge if it was for a UFC title.
As we all know by now, that is no longer the case. Both fighters have worked their way to the top of the UFC’s Welterweight division, and came up short in their title shots to Kamaru Usman. But they’ve yet to clash, despite spending a lot of time around the top 5 of the division. For the last couple of years, they’ve had plenty to say about the other, and not much positive.
Daniel Valverde is now Colby Covington’s coach since he “left” ATT, and spoke with Helen Yee about the two coaching the return of The Ultimate Fighter in March.
“I know that Colby is ready to do that show.” Says Valverde.
“He didn’t hear from the UFC yet. But he might do, we don’t know what’s going to happen. But I hope so, that’d be great to make this fight even bigger, right? They’re both great fighters, and they can be great coaches as well”.
Valverde also mentions that Colby tells him he is dying to face Masvidal and that he’s working extremely hard in the gym. Even just one week after he beat Tyron Woodley.
The Ultimate Fighter is set to begin filming this month, so it should only be a matter of time before we find out who the opposing coaches will be.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”