On Saturday night, Rafael Dos Anjos returns to the Lightweight division, which he once ruled. He won the belt from Anthony Pettis back in 2015 via a dominant decision. He then defended his belt once, against Donald Cerrone and was once scheduled to defend it against Conor McGregor. However, RDA broke his foot, which meant Nate Diaz stepped in on late notice. The rest as they say, is history.
Since losing his title to Eddie Alvarez, RDA has had a somewhat up and down career, in more ways than one. He had moved up to the Welterweight division, and now he is back down to 155lbs, where he’s had most of his success.
In an interview with MMA Fighting, RDA has discussed his move back to Lightweight, and some potential matchups in the near future. As well as feeling rejuvenated at this stage in his career.
“I’m feeling very good now,” dos Anjos said. “I’m older now. Back then when I was champion, I was 31 years old. I’m 36 but I feel like I’m cutting less weight. I’m more disciplined. Being older, I’m more disciplined now even than when I was champion. I’m feeling very confident now.”
“This is a new beginning at lightweight. I’m going after the title. Khabib [Nurmagomedov] left and the division is wide open.”
“Tony Ferguson was interim champion. Dustin Poirier, interim champion. Justin Gaethje, interim champion. The only champions in that division was me and Conor [McGregor], and I think that’s the fight to make.”
RDA fights this weekend against Paul Felder, at UFC Vegas 14.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”