Despite going to war with Israel Adesanya for the Middleweight title back in 2019, Kelvin Gastelum has not won a bout since 2018. After coming so close to his first UFC championship, Gastelum then went on to lose to Darren Till via decision, and then was submitted by Jack Hermansson just 78 seconds into their bout.
Edman Shahbazyan on the other hand was recently rocking a record of 11 wins and 0 losses. That was until he faced Derek Brunson in August, and suffered the first loss of his professional career.
Now it is looking like the two are coming together. Kelvin Gastelum has tweeted the prospect that he has been waiting to sign a contract, and all he needs is Edmen’s signature:
Edmen is yet to respond, but this would be an interesting match up. The UFC is likely to want to build Edmen up more, and a loss against Brunson doesn’t necessarily warrant a fight against the recent title challenger in Gastelum. However, most of the division is booked up, with many injuries throughout the top 15 too, so this could be a fight that gets finalised in the coming days.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.