Despite going to war with Israel Adesanya for the Middleweight title back in 2019, Kelvin Gastelum has not won a bout since 2018. After coming so close to his first UFC championship, Gastelum then went on to lose to Darren Till via decision, and then was submitted by Jack Hermansson just 78 seconds into their bout.
Edman Shahbazyan on the other hand was recently rocking a record of 11 wins and 0 losses. That was until he faced Derek Brunson in August, and suffered the first loss of his professional career.
Now it is looking like the two are coming together. Kelvin Gastelum has tweeted the prospect that he has been waiting to sign a contract, and all he needs is Edmen’s signature:
Edmen is yet to respond, but this would be an interesting match up. The UFC is likely to want to build Edmen up more, and a loss against Brunson doesn’t necessarily warrant a fight against the recent title challenger in Gastelum. However, most of the division is booked up, with many injuries throughout the top 15 too, so this could be a fight that gets finalised in the coming days.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”