Israel Adesanya recently extended his MMA record to 20-0, after defeating Paulo Costa via TKO and defending his Middleweight title. Meanwhile, Jon Jones, the most decorated Light Heavyweight in UFC history, has been bulking up for a fresh challenge and move up to Heavyweight.
However, the two have expressed an interest in fighting each other for a number of years now, and Adesanya is not only willing to go up to 205lbs to fight him, but beyond that too.
In an interview with MMA Junkie, ‘Stylebender’ discussed the eventual bout taking place in a packed stadium one day, and he believes he’d be the main attraction.
“I’m already the A-side,” Adesanya told MMA Junkie Radio. “I’m the guy that’s actually active. I’m the guy that’s actually fighting.”
“I like fighting with no audience, but that fight in particular, I want there to be an audience,”.
“But if there’s no audience for that fight, as well, I don’t mind. I just feel it’ll be glorious in a packed stadium with 75,000 people, you know. But, yeah, I don’t mind. I kind of like the last fight (vs. Paulo Costa), where you could here the crispness of the strikes, the impact of the leg kicks, the shots sounding like gun shots. Either way is good for me.”
Adesanya is currently rumoured to be facing Jan Blachowicz in March, while Jon Jones is quietly preparing himself for his Heavyweight debut. Time will reveal if the stars can align for this super-fight.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”