After much speculation and recent rumours that Dustin Poirier could be getting replaced due to contract issues, the fight is now reportedly official. According to multiple sources, first reported by MMA Fighting, it is a done deal and set to take place on January 23rd as originally planned.
BREAKING: Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) will rematch Dustin Poirier (@DustinPoirier) at #UFC257 on Jan 23, per @DamonMartin— Chisanga Malata (@Chisanga_Malata) November 10, 2020
Six years after they threw down at UFC 178, Dustin gets the chance to avenge that first round TKO loss.
Pumped isn’t the word. Who takes it, folks? pic.twitter.com/Ie5OsTiLXR
After negotiations had dragged out, the UFC was apparently looking at alternatives, which in retrospect could’ve been tactics to get Poirier to sign on the dotted line. It is unclear exactly what has developed in the last 24 hours, but it would appear that Dustin Poirier has finally gotten the contract he was asking for. Poirier also had contract issues last month, when he couldn’t come to terms on a Tony Ferguson bout.
This is a fight years in the making, with both fighters coming a long way since the first one at Featherweight. It will take place at Lightweight, where there is currently no Champion, if Khabib Nurmagomedov has indeed retired.
McGregors coach has also confirmed the return of McGregor via Twitter:
It's on.— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) November 10, 2020
– SBG team member won a title— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) November 11, 2020
– 2 SBG team members offered major contracts
– return of the mac confirmed
– pedro going to bed almost on weight
celebrate the little wins life sends you and life sends you more little wins to celebrate
Conor McGregor also posted a lengthy story on his Instagram about the first time he met Dustin Poirier, and how he looks forward to returning soon.
The first time I came face to face with Dustin “The Diamond” Poirier. Las Vegas Nevada, August 2014… https://t.co/cIejBYDByY— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 11, 2020
Michael Chandler has chimed in on the news, and taken it as an opportunity to ask Tony Ferguson to do the same and agree on a bout:
Glad We Got Some Answers. Now Where You At @tonyfergusonxt ? #CSO RT @MMAFighting: Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2 officially booked for UFC 257 (@DamonMartin) https://t.co/7z3OgmkoQ5 pic.twitter.com/AVsoZ14bWD— Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) November 10, 2020
*Correction* Dana White has now stated that there is still work to be done, as a venue won’t be set until they see what happens with the world. This is in regards to fan restrictions due to the coronavirus.
We apologise if any prior information was misleading.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”