It was recently reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN that the Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier fight in January was in danger of being scrapped. Despite a verbal agreement from both parties weeks ago, neither fighter had came to terms yet on the contract. Helwani claims that it is Poirier who is potentially holding things up:
“He’s the reason the Tony Ferguson-Poirier fight didn’t happen on Oct. 24, and he might be the reason the McGregor-Poirier fight doesn’t happen on Jan. 23,” Ariel Helwani of ESPN reports. “That’s not to say he’s doing anything wrong, per se, rather, he’s just trying to get a deal that he’s comfortable with and the two sides are still apart. That’s the fight biz”.
It was then rumoured that Justin Gaethje was willing to step in and face Conor McGregor, as ‘The Notorious’ is eager to fight in January, regardless.
Now, one more name is in the mix. Michael Chandler has added fuel to the fire, saying that Poirier and Ferguson are the reason behind contract hold ups (Chandler previously wanted to face Ferguson), and that he’d be willing to sign a contract to face McGregor.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”