It was recently reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN that the Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier fight in January was in danger of being scrapped. Despite a verbal agreement from both parties weeks ago, neither fighter had came to terms yet on the contract. Helwani claims that it is Poirier who is potentially holding things up:
“He’s the reason the Tony Ferguson-Poirier fight didn’t happen on Oct. 24, and he might be the reason the McGregor-Poirier fight doesn’t happen on Jan. 23,” Ariel Helwani of ESPN reports. “That’s not to say he’s doing anything wrong, per se, rather, he’s just trying to get a deal that he’s comfortable with and the two sides are still apart. That’s the fight biz”.
It was then rumoured that Justin Gaethje was willing to step in and face Conor McGregor, as ‘The Notorious’ is eager to fight in January, regardless.
Now, one more name is in the mix. Michael Chandler has added fuel to the fire, saying that Poirier and Ferguson are the reason behind contract hold ups (Chandler previously wanted to face Ferguson), and that he’d be willing to sign a contract to face McGregor.
- Report – Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson Targeted For UFC Event On March 26.
- Clay Guida Offers Nate Diaz Rematch Following UFC Vegas 44 Win: ‘I’ll Give Him Another Chance’
- Aljamain Sterling Praises ‘Phenomenal’ Jose Aldo, Believes He Has ‘The Tools’ To Defeat Him
- Nate Diaz ‘Disrespected’ By UFC’s Offer Of Khamzat Chimaev: ‘Don’t Even Talk My Name’
- Sean O’Malley Claims He’s The ‘Unranked Champ’ At Bantamweight Ahead Of UFC 269
- Beneil Dariush Unwilling To Fight Justin Gaethje In The Future: ‘I Don’t Want To Fight A Friend’
- UFC Vegas 44: Font V Aldo Results And Review
- UFC Vegas 44: Font V Aldo Preview
- Report – Jack Hermansson vs. Sean Strickland Headlines UFC Event On February 5.