It was recently reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN that the Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier fight in January was in danger of being scrapped. Despite a verbal agreement from both parties weeks ago, neither fighter had came to terms yet on the contract. Helwani claims that it is Poirier who is potentially holding things up:
“He’s the reason the Tony Ferguson-Poirier fight didn’t happen on Oct. 24, and he might be the reason the McGregor-Poirier fight doesn’t happen on Jan. 23,” Ariel Helwani of ESPN reports. “That’s not to say he’s doing anything wrong, per se, rather, he’s just trying to get a deal that he’s comfortable with and the two sides are still apart. That’s the fight biz”.
It was then rumoured that Justin Gaethje was willing to step in and face Conor McGregor, as ‘The Notorious’ is eager to fight in January, regardless.
Now, one more name is in the mix. Michael Chandler has added fuel to the fire, saying that Poirier and Ferguson are the reason behind contract hold ups (Chandler previously wanted to face Ferguson), and that he’d be willing to sign a contract to face McGregor.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”
- Kamaru Usman wants Michael Chiesa on June 12th: “Let’s throw [him] a bone.”
- Giga Chikadze calls to headline against ‘Cowboy’ next week after 1st round TKO.
- Diego Sanchez cut by the UFC as video surfaces of confrontation at his fighter meeting.
- Whittaker talks about Adesanya “losing his invincibility bubble.”