Last week, at the UFC Vegas 12 Post Fight Press Conference, Dana White was asked if the rumoured bout between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier was signed. Dana White loosely confirmed, stating that as far as he knew it was a done deal.
Dana White says that as far as he knows, Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier is a done deal at 155 lbs.— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) November 1, 2020
Both McGregor and Poirier have also stated that they’d agreed on the weight class (155lbs). This is despite early rumours of it being at 170lbs.
It seemed like all was in place for ‘The Notorious’ to return. However, Dustin Poirier then took to Twitter, to send us back to square one:
“Me @TheNotoriousMMA is the fight January 23rd. let’s make it official! @ufc @danawhite send me the right contract. Stop playing games!”
Conor McGregor was then undergoing a Twitter Q&A. When asked about his return, he said that although he was excited and that he was still awaiting official confirmation however.
Thank you Sir! I am raring to go and in the best place I’ve ever been.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 3, 2020
Excited to show my practices to the world!
Still awaiting official confirmation however. https://t.co/L8Nub2yMjw
This comes off the back of a long line of issues and negotiating between McGregor and the UFC. He’d previously leaked private messages between himself and UFC President, Dana White. These messages showed that McGregor had been seemingly trying to line up opponents throughout 2020, even though he has not fought since January.
The clock is ticking; we’re now in November and the fight could be just around the corner. Each day it drags on and seems likely that another McGregor comeback will be delayed.Follow Us!