Previous rumours circulated online that Tony Ferguson would face off against Dustin Poirier, in the UFC 254 Co Main Event, which is headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje.
Dustin Poirier stated that he was in training camp for the fight, but it had not been made official yet. This was seen as potential strong arming by the Lightweight, as we’ve since come to learn that he was negotiating for more money too.
Since then, Dana White has confirmed that the fight is not official, and that he couldn’t come to terms with Dustin Poirier. This was later given more context by Ariel Helwani and Daniel Cormier, who suggested that Poirier is only making around $150,000 to show, and wanted a larger contract.
Not only has Dustin Poirier been an advocate for getting the deal done, but so has his potential opponent, Tony Ferguson.
“Here’s Lookin’ At You Kid” Pay the man @danawhite @ufc Love ya’ll but let’s give the Hardcore & Casual fans what they deserve, a good fight Sir ⚔️? -CSO- ????? @DustinPoirier #ufc254 pic.twitter.com/uVwwZIUtSd— Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) September 14, 2020
In a tweet directed at Dana White, Ferguson stated that the UFC should give the fans what they want, a good fight. He also tagged Poirier’s Twitter account.
However, White has expressed an interest in finding Ferguson a new opponent.
Naturally, other fighters have put their name in the hat:
??♂️— Beneil Dariush (@beneildariush) September 15, 2020
Ferguson later appeared on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show, to give more context on his situation:
One of Ferguson main talking points in the interview was UFC newcomer, Michael Chandler getting a big contract and in the mix for a title shot. Treatment Ferguson believes he has earned a long time ago.
Now that Dustin Poirier has his sights set on Conor McGregor, it could be some time before we see El Cucuy back in action
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.