Alistair Overeem is currently in the midst of what he claims to be one final title run.
He has been fighting professionally for over 20 years, and recently extended his career by defeating Augusto Sakai via TKO.
In 2011, Overeem defeated Brock Lesnar via TKO in the first round. This would signal the decline of Lesnars career, who wouldn’t fight again for another 5 years, which would then be ruled a no contest for a failed drug test.
Recently, rumours have been circulating around Brocks return to the UFC. This is due to his contract negotiations with WWE temporarily breaking down, and expiring. This means Brocks next organisation is up for discussion.
After Overeems recent victory, Ariel Helwani from ESPN asked him about the recent rumours regarding Lesnars potential return and whether Overeem would be interested in a rematch with the former Heavyweight Champion.
“Brock does not deserve to be mentioned” replied Overeem, as he pondered his potential future match ups. “Okay? Jon (Jones) does, right? Because he is the goat. But Brock does not deserve to be mentioned”.
Overeem went on to explain how Brock is still facing issues with the commission, due to his issues around drug tests. And he is likely particularly not interested as he has already beaten Lesnar convincingly.
Overeem claimed his number one pick would be to rematch Rozenstruik, who TKOd Alistair with seconds left of their bout.
What’s next for Brock Lesnar is unclear, but one things certain. He won’t be fighting Alistair Overeem again anytime soon.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”